Skip to content

Non lucrative Visa for Spain: Steps to obtain it🏝🇪🇸

Non lucrative Visa for Spain: Steps to obtain it🏝🇪🇸

What is the Non lucrative Visa for Spain?🧐

The non lucrative visa for Spain will provide you and your family members with a temporary residence authorization for Spain. However, it is important to keep in mind that you will not be able to work in Spain. You’ll not be able to work as a self-employed person nor as an employee. 

This is why this visa is a favorite among foreigners that intend to retire in Spain. Also, it’s an interesting and simple option for people with sufficient income (either savings or pensions) to be able to live in Spain without the need to work. 

👉 Requirements to obtain the non lucrative Visa for Spain

The non lucrative visa for Spain is very straightforward and it’s based on the applicant being able to prove that he has sufficient economic means to cover his needs during the period of residence in Spain.

To do so, you would need to be able to show you have the following amounts:

– For the main applicant’s: 2,400 €/month. (equivalent to 400% of the IPREM “Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples” for 2022 in Spain)

– For each of the accompanying family members: 600 €/month. (equivalent to 100% of the IPREM)

Sufficient economic means can be demonstrated through bank statements, credit card statements, or any other means admitted by law.

To request the non lucrative visa for Spain, you’ll also need to comply with the following:

  • To have public or private health insurance arranged with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain. It’s important that the medical insurance has no co-payment and no grace period. The insurance has to be as similar as possible to the coverage offered by the Spanish public health system.
  •  Not to be a citizen of a State of the European Union, of the European Economic Area or of Switzerland, or a relative of citizens of these countries to which the regime of citizen of the Union is applicable.
  • Not to be irregularly in Spanish territory.
  • Not to have a criminal record in Spain and in their previous countries of residence for crimes existing in the Spanish system.
  • Not to be forbidden to enter Spain and not to appear as rejectable in the territorial space of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement in such sense.
  • Not to suffer from any of the diseases that can have serious public health repercussions in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations of 2005.
  • Not to be found, if applicable, within the period of commitment not to return to Spain that the foreigner has assumed when taking advantage of a voluntary return program.

Documents you’ll need 📑

The documentation that you will have to present to apply for the non lucrative Visa for Spain is the following:

  • Your valid passport (valid for at least one year).
  • Those of legal age, must present a criminal record certificate from the countries in which they have resided during the last 5 years.
  • Medical insurance 
  • Medical certificate

🚨 Important: Documents issued in languages other than Spanish must be translated by a sworn translator. Also, all foreign public documents must be legalized or apostilled. Please note that it may take a few weeks to obtain the documents. It’s important that you ask about the deadlines of the competent authorities before starting the process.

Procedure to obtain your non lucrative Visa for Spain 🚀

About the procedure, it’s important for you to keep in mind that you will have to apply for the non lucrative Visa at the Diplomatic Mission or Consulate of your country of residence. It is not possible to apply for the visa from Spain.

You must attend the non lucrative visa appointment in person, with the family members that will accompany you. The diplomatic mission has a period of 3 months to decide. If the result is favorable, you will have 1 month to collect the visa. Later, you’ll have to enter Spain within the following 3 months.

Application for a Foreigner’s Identity Card 🪪

Once you enter Spain, you have 1 month to apply for the Foreigners’ Identity Card (“TIE”) at the Foreigners’ Office or Police Station of the locality of your place of residence. To do so, you must pay a fee of 16,08 €, and bring passport-size photographs. 

The initial non-lucrative residence authorization will have the duration of one year and the validity will start on the date of entry into Spain. Sixty days prior to the expiration of the authorization, you’ll be able to renew it for two-years.

Do you have more questions about the process of obtaining a non lucrative Visa for Spain or other visas?

Leave us a message in the comments or contact us directly for an initial free consultation! We will be happy to assist you with the entire process.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *