If you ended up on this article it’s probably that you need a NIE number in Spain. But what is it and what do you need it for?
N.I.E or just NIE is an acronym in Spanish that stands for Foreigner’s Identification Number (“Número de Identificación de Extranjero”) so basically, you’ll need it for everything in Spain.
Now that you know what it is, let’s see what you need to finally obtain it.
👆- Requirements to obtain the NIE number
- First, not being in Spain in an irregular situation.
- Second, having an economic, professional or social interests reason to request the NIE.
- Last, to communicate and demonstrate the reason for which you are requesting the NIE.
📑 – Documents you’ll need
- Application form (EX-15) in duplicate, duly completed and signed by the applicant. (Download form)
- Copy of all the pages of the passport, travel document or registration card, or identity card if the applicant is a citizen of the Union.
- Communication of the economic, professional or social reasons justifying the request.
Keep in mind: When the documents are not issued in Spanish, you must translate them into Spanish or the co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted.
Also, you’ll have to apostille the documents according to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961. If the country is not part of the Apostille treaty, you must legalize all foreign public documents by the Spanish Consular Office with jurisdiction in the country where such document has been issued or, if applicable, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.
* In general, you must submit copies and show the originals at the time of submitting the application.
The interested party can carry out the application directly. However, we can help out and carry out on your behalf through a Power of Attorney.
– Where to submit the documents?🤔
- In Spain. If you are in Spain, you must carry out the procedure at the Dirección General de Policía y de la Guardia Civil directly, or through the Oficina de Extranjería or Comisaría de Policía of the province where you are staying while in Spain.
- Outside Spain. If the NIE is needed before you enter Spain, you can carry out the application at the Spanish diplomatic mission or consular office corresponding to your place of residence.
– Fees 💶
At the time of submitting the documents, you must submit the document confirming the payment of the fee. (€ 9,74 December 2021). Access the Form 790 012 for Payment of the Fee
Some offices issue the NIE at the moment, however, in other ones it can take up to a week.
Further questions? Do not hesitate to get in touch! 📩