WHAT IS THE GOLDEN VISA?
Visa for Investors in Spain
KEY POINTS OF THE GOLDEN VISA SPAIN SCHEME 2024.
– It is a residence and work permit for investors from outside the EU.
– The value of the property to be acquired must be at least €500,000 euros.
– Bank loans and mortgages are not allowed.
– The acquisition of the property (at least the initial €500,000 euros) must be paid in full (without any liens or encumbrances)
– Those expenses related to the acquisition (VAT, legal fees, notary fees, taxes, etc.) will not be taken into account in the amount of the investment.
Golden visa or residency by investment?
OBTAIN RESIDENCY IN SPAIN BY INVESTING IN A PROPERTY
The Golden Visa scheme or residence by investment arises from the approval of Law 14/2013, to support entrepreneurs and internationalization.
Since then, foreigners can apply for residency in Spain through Real Estate investments.
Moreover, the residency permit grants the right to reside and work in Spain initially for a 1 year*, as well as travel throughout the Schengen area.
* If the initial application is made from Spanish territory, a 3 year permit will be granted, otherwise it would be 1 year.
** It is possible to apply for the visa before investing the totality of the required amount. In this case, the duration of the permit will be 6 months, having to prove later that the investment has been made.
The duration of the visa can be extended up to 5 years, after which a permanent residence permit can be obtained.
How to apply for the Golden Visa?
First of all, it is important to make sure that you meet the following requirements:
– You cannot be a citizen of the EU, the European Economic Area or Switzerland, or a family member of citizens of these countries.
– Also, you must be of legal age (+18 years old).
– You cannot have entered Spain illegally, nor have stayed illegally or been banned from entering any of the Schengen countries.
– Have public or private health insurance with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain. It is important to note that travel insurance will not be valid
– No criminal records within the last 5 years.
– On the other hand, you must prove the acquisition of a property in Spain with an investment value equal to or greater than €500,000. The property must be free of charges or encumbrances on that initial €500,000.
– Finally, you must have sufficient economic resources during your period of residence in Spain. That is, accredit at least an amount equivalent to €2,800 for your monthly support. In addition, if you have dependent family members, you will have to add €700 for each of them.
Benefits of obtaining the Golden Visa?.-
Unlike other visas, with the Golden Visa there is no obligation to spend a minimum time in Spain. Generally, you will be able to maintain your fiscal residence outside of Spain, and likewise benefit from having residency in Spain. You will also have the freedom to travel and stay unlimitedly in the EU (Schengen).
The Golden Visa allows you to buy and sell real estate during the period of residence, as long as the investment threshold is maintained.
The Golden Visa is a privileged and fast permit.
The resolution of the application usually takes between 10 and 30 working days, thus being faster than other residence permits.
FAQ's Golden Visa Spain.-
– Can the property be acquired by a company?
Yes, the acquisition of the property can be made by an individual (natural person) or through a legal entity (company). In case it is done through a company, it has to comply with the following:
– Not be domiciled in a tax haven.
– You must have a majority shareholding in the company, and the power to appoint or dismiss its management.
– Submit a report from the DGCOMINVER accrediting the above points.
– How long does the Golden Visa application process take?
The Golden Visa application procedure can be divided into two stages:
1. The acquisition of the property can take approximately 6 weeks (40-50 business days). Ultimately, it will depend on external factors such as real estate agencies (if any), the seller of the property and the cooperation of the client.
2. The application process for the residence permit takes a maximum of 20 days.
– Can I invest in several properties?
You can invest in as many properties as you want. As we mentioned, the main requirement to apply for the Golden Visa or residence by investment is that you invest €500,000 in one or several properties.
– Is there any time limit to make the investment?
Currently there is no limit to making the investment. That is to say, you can buy several properties over the years. However, you will not be able to apply for the Golden Visa until the amount invested does not reach €500,000.
– Can I finance part of the investment?
Yes, you can finance the part of the investment that exceeds the initial €500,000.
For example, if the property you are interested in costs €700,000 you can finance €200,000 (since the initial €500,000 are the minimum amount of investment in this type of visa).
– When can I obtain Spanish citizenship?
The Golden Visa scheme does not automatically grant you a Spanish passport, but it allows you to reside legally in Spain. After a period of 10 years and fulfilling other requirements, you will be able to apply for nationality, which allows the issuance of a Spanish passport.
On the other hand, in the case of nationals of Latin American countries, Andorra, Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, or Portugal, the deadline to apply for nationality is 2 years.